- HEG.MGT.001 Course Description
The course is designed to provide students with theoretical knowledge and practical experience to carry out independent research that knows when it is academically and scientifically sound.
This course presents the process of research from the inception of a purpose statement or research thesis through to the writing up of a report or essay. Through exposure to different research methods, students will learn which method is appropriate for the research questions and/or hypotheses they generate.
At the end of this course, students should have a fully developed research plan and will be assigned a thesis advisor to oversee their thesis project.
Expected Outcome / Learning
Students will have learned to use both qualitative and quantitative research methods, and to analyze research - their own and others' on the basis of the validity and appropriateness of the research tools and methods used for the given subject and research objective.
Upon the successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop a purpose statement that may be in the form of a research question or a hypothesis.
- Understand the principal tendencies in the theory of research
- Design a research plan and understand the detail of the various necessary steps.
- Conduct a thorough literature review and prepare an annotated bibliography.
- Understand why quantitative and qualitative methodologies are used in gathering data and which methods benefit what kind of outcome.
- Analyze the data collected.
- Write up and present the findings.
Thesis project orientation
Upon completion of this course, students should have a fully developed research plan and will be assigned a thesis advisor to oversee their thesis project.